My Ugly Christmas Sweater Cake

This week I made an Ugly Christmas Sweater cake using my one bowl chocolate cake recipe. I baked the cake in a 9X13 pan and decorated it using cookie cutters and several different piping tips. I’m going to share my recipes and photos with you.

One Bowl Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

2 cups of white sugar
1 ¾ cup of all purpose flour
3/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
1 1/1 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
2 large eggs
½ cup of vegetable oil
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
1 cup of boiling water

To Make The Chocolate Cake

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees

• Grease and flour your pans. (this will make 2 9 inch cakes, for this design I used a 9 X13 pan).

• In a large bowl stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil, vanilla and mix for approximately 2 minutes on medium speed.

• Stir in the boiling water, the batter will be very thin but no worries it will bake up nicely.

• Pour evenly into prepared pans.

• For 9 inch pans bake 30-35 minutes or until the cake tests done with a toothpick. I baked my 9X13 cake for 45 minutes. All ovens vary so be sure to test it before you remove it from the oven.

• Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Vanilla Buttercream icing

Ingredients

1 cup of unsalted butter at room temperature
4 cups of sifted icing sugar
1 tbsp of vanilla extract
up to 4 tbsp of heavy whipping cream

To make the icing

• In a mixing bowl beat the butter for approximately 5 minutes

• Slowly add the icing sugar and continue beating, scrape down the sides of the bowl

• Mix in vanilla extract

• Then add your heavy whipping cream. If you want a thicker consistency add less cream and for a thinner icing add all of the heavy cream

Once I had my cake baked and cooled, I crumb coated it. After 5-10 minutes of being in the fridge, I started to work on dividing the cake up into sections to decorate. I used a small bowl to create a neck hole and I used my Dritz Ezy Hem ( this is actually an awesome tool to have for baking) to divide the sections up evenly. Then I placed my desired cookie cutter shapes onto the cake and pressed gently to mark the icing. I tinted my icing to the colors I wanted and began to pipe out the decorations. I used 2 batches of vanilla buttercream for this cake.

0-2

You can find the above on Amazon.

It was really good :slight_smile:

I brought it to work and shared it with coworkers.

Here are some close-up photos: