Pumpkin Butter, Apple Butter and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

It’s been a while. I have not posted anything for months.

For the month of June I worked in the school my children attend and then I was busy preparing for our summer vacation. We spent just a little over 6 weeks visiting our family in Portugal.

It’s September now, my kids are all back in school, the weather is changing and fall is setting in. Do you know what that means? Pumpkin and all things fall.

I’ve missed being in my kitchen.

This past couple of days I have made some yummy pumpkin butter, apple butter and some delicious pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. I am going to share all those recipes with you.

Let us begin.

Pumpkin Butter

Ingredients

• 4 cups of pumpkin puree
  • 2 TBSP of lemon juice
  • 1 1/4 cups of sugar
  • 2 TSP of pumpkin pie spice

Instructions

• Stir ingredients together in a 4 quart of larger pan
  • Heat over low or medium-low heat
  • Continue cooking until pumpkin butter is thick and deep brown.
  • Ladle into clean jars and seal

Apple Butter

Ingredients

• 5 medium apples, cored and roughly chopped
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1.5 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup

Instructions

• Stir all ingredients together in a medium-sized pot. Cover and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours or so until apples have reduced

• Remove pot from stove and let cool, uncovered, for 15 minutes or so. Puree apple mixture with an immersion blender

• If you want to thicken your apple butter even more after you’ve pureed it, just return it to the stove over low heat and let it cook down until it’s reached your desired level of thickness

• Serve apple butter warm or let it cool and keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.

Notes

I decided to take mine one more step and I used my canner to seal my jars. I washed the jars, sterilized them and processed them in my canner.

Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar lightly packed
  • 1 large egg yolk discard whites or save for another recipe
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla I use Mexican vanilla
  • 1/3 cup canned pumpkin NOT pumpkin pie filling; not an entire can
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon each ground cloves and nutmeg
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cups and 1/2 white all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup chocolate chips

Instructions

• Place the butter in a microwave-safe large bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds or until the butter is completely melted.

• Whisk in the white and brown sugar until completely combined.

• Make sure the mixture isn’t too hot (don’t want to cook the egg!) and then add in the egg yolk

• Add in the vanilla and canned pumpkin.

• Add in the salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and allspice.Here’s where you can adjust seasonings to preference. Add less or more depending on how you usually like your baked goods.

• Whisk in the baking soda with 1/2 cup flour.

• Add the remaining 1 cup of flour and stir it in with a wooden spoon.

• The mixture should pull away from the edges once all the flour is added. Stir in the chocolate chips (I use and prefer milk, but use what you like!).

• Cover and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour. This is a crucial step and if skipped your cookies will likely spread like a pancake.

• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

• Once the dough has been chilled, line a baking mat with a nonstick liner (or parchment paper).

• Roll into small balls of dough( I use a cookie scoop) and lightly press down to flatten it slightly.

• Once you’ve rolled the cookies, chill on the cookie sheet in the fridge for another 10-15 minutes. This will help them keep their shape better.

• While one batch is chilling you can work on rolling out another one.

• Take the tray right from the fridge and place it in the oven.

• Bake for 9-12 minutes or until very lightly browned at the bottom

• Remove from the oven and allow to “cook” for another 1-2 minutes on the baking sheet before removing them to a wire cooling rack.

• These cookies taste even better the next day – the spices and pumpkin flavor have definitely intensified by then!

1 Like